2 medium zucchinis - cut into 1/4 inch strips (If the zucchinis are very large, peel them first. The smaller ones are fine unpeeled)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 of a medium onion - chopped
3 cloves garlic - minced
3/4 lb. fresh tomatoes - cut into pieces (if using canned - a 16 oz. can of whole tomatoes, drained)
1 Tbsp Italian herbs
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup Italian cheese mixture (Mozzarella, Parmesan, Provolone, Asiago - whatever you like)
Heat oven to 400° F.
1) Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add onion and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for another 30 to 60 seconds, until the garlic is fragrant. Add tomatoes, herbs and spices.
2) Cook over medium heat until the liquid is mostly gone but not completely, stirring occasionally for 5 to 10 minutes. You should have about a cup.
3) Place half of the zucchini strips and line the bottom of a 9 X 13 casserole pan.
4) Spread about half of the tomato mixture on the zucchini - (does not need to be spread evenly) then top with a half cup of the cheese.
5) Add another layer of zucchini and tomato sauce. Save the last half cup of cheese until later.
6) Bake for 20-25 minutes. Top with the rest of the cheese, and lower oven temperature to 375 F. Bake for about 20 minutes more or until cheese is golden brown.